STEP – Merit-Based Safety Recognition
In 1989, the ABC National Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) Committee, established the Safety Training Evaluation Process (STEP) program. They developed and wrote it specifically for contractors from a contractors’ perspective. There is no charge for this service, unless you are applying for STEP Diamond or Platinum, or submitting via the paper application, and your responses are strictly confidential.
Safety as a Core Value
With the STEP program, you can build upon your company’s safety and create a longstanding culture that encourages your employees to look out for each other. Additional aspects of the system include:
- Organized approach for analyzing and developing safety and loss prevention programs
- The Key Component system forms a 20-point guide to starting, updating or auditing a company-wide safety program
- Incorporates lagging indicator safety performance data with leading indicator use and self-assessment requirements to give a full, wide ranging report on the entire nature of a company’s Safety Program
- Designed to benefit both large and small contractors alike
- Recognition for ABC members at both National and Chapter level, with various recognition events held throughout the year
- Gateway to Accredited Quality Contractor recognition
- STEP Diamond and Platinum recipients eligible for ABC National Safety Excellence Award and Construction Users Roundtable (CURT) – CISE award
- 2013 STEP data shows STEP participants beat BLS national averages in all lagging indicator performance metrics, leading to participant benefits in the pre-bid/bid process and when negotiating insurance rates.